Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Inner-City School Playground: Green in the City Laura Secord .

Inner-City School Playground: Green in the City Laura Secord

school i take care of myselfChildren`s education is a very important matter for me. While I learn at the higher levels, I have nieces and nephews of grade-school age, and I am indignant at some of the news I`ve been hearing on elementary school closures.

My friend Kate Milberry alerted me to a fundraising campaign project that her kids` school (Laura Secord Elementary School) is putting together for a seismic upgrade.

And they want YOUR votes! This Aviva Fund campaign is especially relevant as

From the proposal:

Laura Secord School is situated in East Vancouver in an inner-city neighborhood with a diverse mix of cultures and families actively invested in their community. The train began a seismic upgrade of our 88-year-old building in December 2009. Almost all of the existing playground equipment had to be torn down to give way for portable classrooms to sign a student body of 650 elementary school students. All that remains for average students is 1 basketball hoop, 2 swings and an old wooden structure. The train has had to implement separate recesses for primary and intermediate grades because of a deficiency of distance and safety issues. We would wish to see our kids be capable to work together as a coordinated group again.

As my friend Kate says, and I agree completely, the actual account is actually about improving the common timber of their urban space and building community around physical activity, play and nature. From what Kate tells me, "the big matter around the playground is that it will be for the total community (not just Secord kids/families) - a literal property of community outdoors (and wheelchair accessible too).

I enjoy their motto: "I take charge of myself, I take charge of others, I take charge of this place." You can vote for this picture on the Aviva Fund page (requires registration, but it`s a simple enough process). Please consider voting for them! Vote now!

No comments:

Post a Comment