Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Music Critic: Cyrus Malachi: Ancient Future

Cyrus Malachi: Ancient Future
byThe Music Critic ~Thursday, 17 March 2011 Labels:
Ok, I hold it. I know basically nothing about the whole hip hop scene here in the UK. I am of an age where the whole thing passed me by. I ain't got a 'bunch' or fall from the 'street' and I simply don't pertain to it. The endless repetitive beats and samples strike me as lazy but the one matter about it that I do get is its lyrical nature.

From the short I do know, I can see the distinct difference between what is coming out of the UK and from across the pond. Cyrus Malachi is a sound instance of where the lines get blurred. His lyrics come from the spirit that he lives and has lived. That is a man of inner city London where drugs, prostitution and end are uttered without the motivation to pull it into misogynistic sexism, racism and money. Then he teams up with a kind of American artists for several tracks and that is where Malachi loses his identity for me.

As function of the revered trio Triple Darkness he already comes with a line and almost of the 20 tracks on this tape will just answer to cement his reputation. With a horde of different producers including Diplimat and Beat Butcha, the beats are kept clean and drift from grime to soul. For me, it is where Malachi tackles what is on his doorstep that he really shines. Black Madonna is a lyrical journey that tackles race, self worth, being proud of your inheritance and societies obsession with the unobtainable perfection.

The previously mentioned Americanisation of his music is rammed home on Master Builders and King Cobras where the likes of Bronze Narareth and Rustie Jaxx spout endless crap from the handbook of exploitation and bullshit as they try to jam the n-word into as light a place as possible. Am I the just one who finds it offencive. It is not empowering. Why he mat the demand to collaborate with these guys when he is subject of producing powerful descriptive songs like Black Maria, a call about prison life and the force it has on individuals and their families, is beyond me. It is simply brilliant. Concrete Flowers and The Crucible are path of similar quality and are a million miles out from the collaborations with his American counterparts.

Even through my grizzled old suburban ears I can see what it is that Malachi is doing. I can also see that he knows how to do it comfortably and yeh, I can even link to some of it. At 20 tracks though, it is at least 6 tracks to long but then I'm not its target audience.

www.myspace.com/cyrusmalachi

[][][][ (3.5/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment