Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Inner City Observations: I Don't Know What I Am Doing Either.

Step backwards and have a good long looking at me.I am blond and blue eyed.My great grandparents actually arrived in America on a boat from Germany.I am dead and little of build.My bark is cream colored.Never in the totality of my lifetime have I felt "cool."Clumsy,and awkward maybe, but that's about it.Just yesterday, as a subject of fact, I managed to discharge my entire cup of soda on the floor of a restaurant.

The spray washed up and over me, leaving me a sticky mess. Happening in slow motion, I could not care to do anything but squeeze my eyes tight so as not to rinse out a contact in the overflow.


This is not the soul that one would say is called to urban kids.Everything about my students can look on the outside looking in like a tough, put together front.Everything about their lives is about pulling off the perfect exterior.Sneakers match socks, match pants, fit shirts that match the hat on their head.All things are assembled in the way of presentation.This seems true of most students.They put one what they lack the man to see.

However,it is the fancy of control."If at least I can construct the outside, then perhaps you won't see how I am falling apart on the inside."This is how I can find even to this day.It is a need to belong.Whether I get from "the streets" or "the woods,"the motivation to put on a front remains. Really, most of us are simply living life to get along, hoping we might fit somewhere.If this is straight as an adult,how much more so as a youth?

What I find hilarious is the figure one part of feedback I see from those new to youth ministry is something on the lines of the following: "I actually make a center for kids, but I am not sure I can relate." "I own naught in green with them.""I'm not certain how to get the conversation." "I'm only a volunteer, I'm not the literal youth worker." "I'm too young.""I'm too old."In some way or other people assure me what they DON'T get to extend the teens in my group, in their group, in any group.It doesn't count if we can refer to their culture or not we look like aliens on their planet.

So here's theconundrum.Our young are falling apartwhile attempting to hold it together.
We are falling apart because we think we get aught to give.

Truly we are riddled with fear.What if I say the wrong thing?What if I slew them up?What if they calculate out I don't always love the answer. or what they are talking about. or . or...?

The clock has come for us to get over ourselves.For there is a youth out there that needs you.Just for who you are.Uncool.Unkempt.A small bit of a mess.Fully redeemed by the king and blood of Christ.They want somebody to distinguish them that they are not alone.In this rich, vast lonely situation of life,the God of all Creation wants to be their BFF.Not just that, he longs to catch them up with a passion that is higher and wider and deeper than anything else they have always known.

We will say it all wrong.We will travel over ourselves.However, there are places to go to take math or dance or the arts.Some of us even offer these wonderful slices of living to our students. Yet, there are not many tripping over themselves to get a student the truth.Not many can transcend the scheduling and just be.

The real matter they are hungering for.Our kids are killing themselves daily.This transcends students in the city, the suburbs or the rural areas.They are doing it with drugs, sex, razor blades, alcohol, video games, friends, and a desperation that riddles the heart.Daily a want of a promise and future courses through their veins.Death happens when the flame goes out of the soul.

The period is that we take no thought what we are doing.We never will.None of us.Christ sort of meant it to be that way."I came to you in weakness with great care and trembling.My substance and my preaching were not with knowing and persuasive words, but with a manifestation of the Spirit`s power,so that your faith might not reside on human wisdom, but on God`s power." 1 Cor. 2:3-5

You see we are not the ones who should shine through.Christ is.He uses us light and "not" things to pity the wise.Please today, exclude the speech from your vocabulary, "I'm simply a." or "I'm not."Of course.When we see the office of the track all we can do is share it. In the soul of who we are.It isn't a mistake.God made you this way for this day, so that a youth,can see his reflection.They will be worn to their Creator and Savior and we will get out of the way.That is the point.

There is a generation desperate for you to read up.Just as you are.I am begging of you. for their sake. take the plunge.If you already have. don't stop.....

You are needed.You are wanted.

YOU.the one who doesn't go with the scholar who is worn to your side.

Simply love them the way that Christ loves you....


No comments:

Post a Comment