Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lavoe Revolt: The A-Side Build w Kevlaar 7 of the Wisemen

"I got on late cause I`mahead of my time."- "Faith Doctrine" (Children of a Lesser God LP, 2010)"I give you power with my words/ it`s a present and a curse/ like nursing a dead flower back to life."-"Panic in Vision Park" (Children of a Lesser God LP, 2010)2010 has already witnessed its greatness and the crowds of popularity and sing-a-long song smother the sample and fervency of the last proponents.

he end mass that are just Original, poor and oppressed and enjoy a big break, sample and an ill words as the next meal.They now waiting for Kanye to keep them on Good Friday and contests to make the Wu again.The greatness is Wisemen`s new album, Children of a Lesser God.The Wu legacy has a house of contemporary family from Sunz of Man to Allah Mathematics.Yet, the grounds of the legacy`s continuation is in the winner of discipleship.After Bronze Nazareth`s classic, The Great Migration, we make an superior MC preparing his own incredible beds of drums and soul.Bronze ushering in his peoples, The Wisemen, led to a debut, Wisemen Approaching, of respectable MCs that served as a considerably extended Greater Migration.Like his mentor, Bronze MCs, produces and brings his home in.Yet with their Children LP, we receive a similar path but fresh innovations and the mandatory recognition as all six of the Wisemen are truly MCs of a profound caliber.We too have a preliminary to the future great musician, Kevlaar 7.A-alike his brother Bronze, they provide Children with medicine that succeeds in the direction RZA has oft articulated, a progressive hardcore sound filled with live musicianship.Children is what them ol` great albums are-something to explore and so be rewarded.Before Children`s release, I had the chance to make with Kevlaar 7 on the sciences of everything in spirit that now must include his burgeoning skills as the next great MC/producer, a Hip Hop musician with an ear for the perfect bass/melody/break assortment and the pen of a composing lyricist.Here are about of the snippets.Sunez: I really don`t see you all as beatmakers but MCs first even thought most may see it otherwise.Kevlaar 7: Exactly.That did do after.Both of us started rhyming first.Bronze been making beats since `94. I was only an mc from 94 to fukn 2002. but finally in 2001 i had a thinking and yet though I suppose i`m the illest MC I made beats.I`d send them to Bronze, Cilvaringz.They was like "Damn. You got good quick as fuck!` From then on I kept goin.I`m definitely a lyricist before beatmaking.[Kevlaar 7 & Sunez building on Riverside Drive, NYC]Sunez: What`s the outlook on this album?Our mindset goin into making the book [starts] with the group we worked with, the hot band, they from Seattle, Project Lionheart.They did shit on 60 Second Assassin`s album.We wanted to get that rugged gritty Hip Hop shit but update it with real music. And a bigger sound as far as sound quality.You recognize how Dr. Dre`s sound choice is as far as the quality of the mixture and the mastering.We wanted to take a sharp sound like that but at the same time living the gritty shit in.When I see a sample I`m already formulating what I`m- `oooh I wish these drums. Man, I used these drums back in 03.` Pulling them back out and seeing what i can do with them.That might sound good on that.It`s just shit like that and usually when I pluck out.I might picking some drums that I already did or pick up a new drum pattern and shit.Grab me a new snare, a rush from over there.[With Children of a Lesser God] we would cause the dead first how we wanted it then we`d be like, `you live what do this.`Add a horn, c major.Whatever we thought sounded good this band would do it.This is how we enhanced the beats.Now I used to be capable to learn music.I used to bring the horn and the piano but you know, life gets in the way.[Kevlaar 7 & Sunez w/Paragone, designer of the Wisemen LP cover]That was another thing too. Me and Bronze was talk about this too.We wish our own brand, our own sound where muthafuckas hear you and be like, `That`s the Wisemen.`Sunez:When you do the solid body of work, you get all the tracks on the album, do you go `I`m repeating drums` and we can`t hold a solid album with this repeated or that repeated?Kevlaar:That`s like a work that happens like when we`re fashioning the album.We`ll listen to what we got.We don`t get this case of song, or this character of joint.We want to do them type of joints but can`t nothing sound like anything else.Sunez:Well explain that for me only cuz people consider when you say "that case of stick" or "this case of joint" they may be thinking commercial joint, insert here. What do you intend by "that type of joint"?Kevlaar: We have it deeper than `we want a commercial joint, one for the bitches.`We don`t actually do it like that. Most people do it like that on some straight cliche ass shit.But we be like, `we want a very soulful joint,` cause Phillie and Illah sound ill on that shit.They write deep shit on those.We take some hardcore, bring you about "what the bed is you looking at" type shit.We do it like that.You can do it that other way and you might get out with some deep shit but from the first we have it deeper.This is not only a call for the bitches.We taking it deeper.We wanna know how they look about whatever.That`s another thing.You gotta have 4 or five concepts songs.Shit that`s about some shit.We gotta joint named "Lucy"Illah Dayz came up with the whole concept.Bronze did the beat.It`s an old soul sample saying "Love ain`t what it used to be" and so the drum come in.We rhyming on some-Illah comes raunchy.Another called "Do It Again"That`s the one fellow that made the album.He`s from Detroit named Supaa Maine.He did the beat.You probably never heard of him.He really ain`t got no name.We met him at a show.My man from Black Wall Street introduced us to him.He made some shit we would do so Bronze, Salute and Phillie jumped on it.Then I jumped on it.It might be a radio joint.We celebrate our integrity.We still doing us but beat wise it has a mass appeal to it.It`s an old sample but its got the knocking drums that would attract to the masses.We tried to prevent the shit hitting from all angles.We got some shit, "Get U Shot" and basically.I`m telling a report on my verse about some fellow who was thug ass nigga and that`s what his lifetime was about.He ends up shooting a bar and accidentally hits somebody and the swell is a vegetable.Then how ill revenge is and his moms came second and killed him. But in betwixt the verses me and my man from South Carolina, my comrade in law, we be on some comedy shit talking like them ol` niggas. Like "don`t go about them muthafukas will get u shot boy."Shit is hilarious.We tried to interpose some comedy in the shit too and everybody we let listen to it is like `you muthafuckas stupid man.` [laughs]So we sounded like some Richard Pryor shit.We try to integrate everything but at the same time not drive it.To us, it`s ever been a thing to us-everything has to do natural.We don`t ever force shit.It dont` go right when you drive it.Sunez: Now with Illah Dayz and June Megaladon coming back into the fold, how are tracks constructed?Who gets to be on tracks?Kevlaar: Ain`t no yes men in the group. If five other niggas is impressive you that you can come harder so you gotta look outside yourself because one person can`t ever tell what`s goin on about them. Someone else will take to distinguish him or 5 other niggas will get to separate him.You can`t always contain your own view and combine it all the time cuz the multitude that know you is gonna tell you the truth.That`s the foremost thing too.We`re family.Me, June and Bronze grew up together.I`ve only known Illah dayz since 2002 but the ground he wasn`t on the inaugural album was because he was in an accident.He`s paralyzed from the waist down.It was afterwards a studio night and that`s why he took a hiatus.He was passing through therapy.June`s Pops got killed when he was 17 and he was partly of the Stranger so he took a respite and became the man of the house.So he was at home taking charge of his mom, sisters and all that make so he kind of got out from it. But actually they only came second to the cipher.Izayaa (photographer): How do you put your lyrics?Alotta people in teaching and other fields say our people can`t write.How does your work of writing happen?I know it sounds high class but how do your lyrics come out?Kevlaar: It don`t. I appreciate questions like that.Alotta people don`t really analyze shit like it needs to be. I be lacking to love what peoples` deepest thoughts around the dirt are. My writing process can go any amount of ways.If I`m working on my own shit I already have beats picked out for my album or project I`m working on.Depending on how I`m feeling that day I`ll go through the beats and I`ll try a measure that makes me wanna-it brings the crap out of me.Bronze`s beats do that.Some of my beats do but it be strong to publish to your own shit.If I mind to my beats complete and over it makes it hard.I don`t know why but Bronze`s bring it out of me.However. the beat makes me feel those are the lyrics that fall out of me.Usually I write down the start note that comes to my head.I`ll write four bars first then I go backward and I keep repeating it and repeating it. Then i`ll be like `nah, throw this word out.Put this book in.Place this book with that word.`It`s like a puzzle.And I do that with still many bars I`m writing and by the end of the shit I`ll have it memorized.Sunez: The use of the metaphor.How does that act in extending the metaphor so mysterious and extended?Kevlaar: It might be a mental sickness [laughter] but seriously I only keep writing until I find it in my heart I`m finished.We was influenced by RZA with the metaphors. You might say "we gon shoot you," but he taught us to say it in a different way like "I`ll thread your needle, nigga."You only say shit different and I might have one matter and recall of 30 different ways to say it.Sunez:You do a lot of word coupling and you`ll also double rhyme your verses with the beats almost stuttering along.Kevlaar:We do that with the beats so it`ll be more noticeable.We get that from [Kool] G Rap. Just accept the final verse I heard from him amazed me.He rhymed every single book in the rhyme.Sunez:Word.And the rhyme schemes are double timed.Like on "Associated."Kevlaar:Actually I`m a state you the story.Bronze sent GZA like 30-just bangers.Turned all of them down. We let him clean the stick for our album.Bronze was like `fuck it,` and just sent like ten more of them.Didn`t care which ones he threw in the folder, sent it and it ended up being that.We was like "that beat?!".Me and Bronze was like `there`s nothing wrong," but we wouldn`t have picked it out for the album.We was like `fuck it, let`s do it.` And it turned out sick.Also interesting is that "Introducing" was actually the beginning song we recorded for that album and "Wisemen Approaching" is really the live track.Dreddy had wanted three moretracks-"Iconoclasts," "Associated" and another course I forget.We had barely moved out of our crib with a studio in the basement.Bronze touched with wifey and I moved in with Salute so we was like `fuck, we ain`t got no studio right now". So we set shit up in the press of the apartment."Associated" and "Iconoclasts" were recorded in the closet.Sunez:I would have never guessed that shit.I would have said the Unknown album was done in an apartment closet.Kevlaar:Yeah! Exactly, we did that shop in a fuckin real studio.The grass is crazy how you take to intoxicate the tone of the music no matter where you`re recording it.Sunez:Any beats of yours peoples getting on?Kevlaar:I sent Jay Electronica some beats.That fellow is ill, real ill.I sent Rae a few.Me and Bronze sent Raekwon a few.I think he chose one of Bronze`s for the Shaolin Vs. Wutang.Sunez:Rae should give you two do the whole thing.Kevlaar:Word.That`s what we wait for. When we rocked with Killah Priest in Detroit, we rocked a pair of shows with him.We brought him to the studio and he did the dog that I produced.He jumped on it and it`s on Bronze`s album (School for the Blindman).That dirt is crazy-"Sodom and Gomorrah."Priest was like, `we want to do a solid album, just us three.`We was like `Word. Let`s do it.`We gonna do it happen but Priest is all over.He`s never in one point for too long.Sunez:For me, Detroit has the best new MCs.Are you all in touch with other MCs like Royce Da 5`9", Black Milk or eLZhi or any other expansion?Kevlaar:Yeah, it`s coming.Matter of fact, Bronze just did a junction with Royce last week for one of M-80`s projects.And i did a junction with Kurupt, Tri-State and Ruste Juxx.[Peace to Kevlaar 7 and the Wisemen]Sunez:How is Die Ageless, your debut solo coming along?What are you building on?Kevlaar:I talk on a lot of issues, like inner city issues especially in Detroit-Gun Rule. The joblessness, homelessness, ignorance.The people that`s oppressing us ain`t the only problem.we do it to ourselves sometimes. I got a stick on my album called "My People" produced by J-Skrilla from D.C. DMV area.I think Reef the Lost Cauze is gonna jump on that.I got this song called "Solstice" where I`m telling a report but it`s a true story.Me and my man was playing basketball after school and a nigga got bucked right across the street at one of the payphones.Then I go into it on some enlightenment shit.We did go over there and looking at the grass and see brains all over but I went deeper and made up some shit-"I looked into his eyes and this is what I saw/ 1995 early autumn I saw/ the flame from the cock as shortly as I set/ the corner dropped to my chest/ this stuff is hotter than a sauna peered from a spot/ seen a nigga that was shot/alotta, screaming and shouting and tires peeling out/ I lay for 5 minutes forever no doubt/ I rose up slowly, looked into his eyes/ and this is what he told me"-There`s more but I wrote that like six days ago and I did the rhythm and it gets real deep.I gotta song for the women cuz you gotta address the Earths.It`s called "Losing Hand Gamble."Basically what I`m doing is I`m comparing relationships in the preceding when I was angry and ignorant and it`s called "Losing Hand Gamble" cuz I gambled that shit.It was well for me but I didn`t see it.In the first verse I`m comparing one of my real relationships to a plot of Bones.The 2nd verse it`s another relationship in a plot of chess.Then Brix, she`s from Boston, she`s gonna come in on the third verse and reach the female perspective and equate it to relationship.She`s down with the Wolves-Krumbsnatcha and them.Bronze did the dead with a Ray Charles sample.It`s crazy.Sunez: It`s mostly other producers working on it?Kevlaar: Mostly it`s me and Bronze producing the album.I got a sidekick named Wooden Change from Indiana.That`s my song about money called "Federal Reserve Note."The evils of that shit but besides the necessities.My man Central Intelligence from Albuquerque.I guess that`s it.Other than that it`s me and Bronze.I haven`t gotten the precise date but it`s early Februrary.I probably take approximately 3 more songs to write.I too got a junction with me, Sha Stimuli and Ras Kass.I`m fans of them dudes so I was glad to do that joint."Everyones` stressin/ expressin/ they fake knowing you heartlessListen, pick apart this/ evening my cousin of death heard me rhyme/bleeding my brethren stealing my time/it`s my second resurrection/ my lines are perfectiondrop the needle, we want you to get your lessonsso I hold the fifth/ swig my shooting and spit/and lifeless lifetimes/ I`m echoing this,How many times/must I throw out the skyand teach the lost how to fly/How many times I gotta tip the bottle`s eye/to quiet my tension, Pass the vodka dry"-"Makes Me Wanna Shot" (Children of a Lesser God LP, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment