Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Inner City: Rise (!011 Dub Remix) - 5 Magazine House Music Reviews

/

Goddamnit, Kevin Saunderson.

That's all this survey was leaving to be, because Kevin and Kweku Saunderson's remix of the Inner City classic "Rise" ripped the top of my mind off. This is a dub that I can get down with: a looping vocal eruption, pounding percussion and so everything else reverbed to hell like a hurricane ripping through a chrome machine shop.

After the sudden intro, this is pure build: it just churns like a car complete and over into an early break at 2:00 in after which those dubbed voices take over. Whenever I see something like this, I can't help but to consider of cramped lofts with walls that appear to sweat, drinks in dixie cups, a single light and a smokey haze.

The curve by every label with a catalog worth remembering shoving "2011 remixes" out the threshold is pretty bleak, with a few noteworthy exceptions. I think Cajmere does a respectable job - in his case, most of the classic Relief and Cajual recordings have been out of print for years, and in devising them available digitally once again, he's exposing a new generation to some of the best House Music ever made by handing them off to new remixers. Some of 'em ain't my style, but some of the original remixes weren't my sorta girl, either. Same with Octave One's Revisited Series: I don't know if Alexander Kowalski's remix of "I Need Release" has set the earth on fire, but it sure made my tree of it a little better.

Kevin Saunderson is doing something a little different with the weighty KMS Records catalog. There's not much hype behind it - after the Elevate project, it's only single releases with one, perhaps two remixes total, and that's it. At least in this case, one mix was all I needed.

Kevin mentioned in our interview back in January that he was serving his nephew Kweku break into the industry. I make no idea who is responsible for what here but I'm definitely impressed.

[ - Review by Terry Matthew / July 2011 - ]

Available: Apparently available only from Beatport. Track ListingDuration01:Inner City: Rise (2011 Remix)6:1002:Inner City: Rise (1994 Vocal Version) Not Sent

No comments:

Post a Comment